Tuesday, 10 December 2013

What fun!

My Deniece spent Saturday night with us and we had great time.  We spent the evening putting up the Christmas tree, having Chinese food, and watching curling.

At one point she turned to me and said, "Aunty are we really going to put all of these decorations on the tree?"  She told their tree at home is quite different as it covered in her and her brother's homemade ornaments, pictures, ribbons, and the like.

My daughter assured her that one time our tree had similar items (except ribbons...the cats tend to eat them) but as they grew up the ornaments became more prevalent.

We were all tired (well...she wouldn't admit she was) so were in bed early, by 10 p.m.  Shortly after 6:30 a.m. I heard her stirring but I knew she had books to keep her entertained so I went back to sleep.  By 7 though she was up and at 'em.  I came out to the kitchen to find her taking plates, forks and knives out to set the table.

I made a pot of coffee, got dressed, and sent her off to her room to dress as well.  My daughter D got up at the same time, and we soon had pancakes and bacon on the table.  I normally don't eat until I've been awake for an hour or so, thus was surprised to realize I was hungry.  In any event, she wasn't waiting!

The table was cleared and I brought out the sewing machine.  L immediately sat down, but I explained to her there is more to sewing than using the machine. I had her We ironed the material, trace the pattern, cut it out. pin it to the material and cut out her pieces.  The first pieces were a mess as she was in a hurry (no surprise, I know she was excited) so she was off on the cutting lines.  After another attempt she got the hang of it.

I found that was the case with throughout the process.  I`d show her what was needed, she`d try and struggle a bit, but the next time round she did really well.  What a quick study!  I showed how to thread the machine, replace the bobbin, and re-thread the machine again.  It was much easier for her with her little fingers and better eyesight!

She decided to make bells, one for each of her family members.  I should have thought to have her stuff them - I didn't - but we had lots of items with she could decorate the bells when she finished the pieces together.  I think she did a wonderful job!
  \
After we cleared away the sewing machine and all the craft supplies, she and my daughter mixed up a batch of butter tarts.  While those were baking L wrapped a few gifts for my daughter.

When her mom came to pick her up at noon, I was exhausted and she was still going strong!  I'm pretty certain she had fun, as I've had an e-mail from my brother asking me if I'll watch the two children on December 16 while their parents go out to dinner.  I've said yes....I bet I can get all my gifts wrapped before their parents pick them up!
(I doubt my Denephew will help - I have Lego for him)

It's been a long time since I've had a young person in the house.  It was a fun evening/morning and I'm looking forward to spending time with L.  She's a pretty special girl!


4 comments:

Katnip Lounge said...

I remember when Scott's kids were that age and YES they are fun! I taught Ashley to sew and I think it's becoming a lost art so kudos to you.

BTW, you asked a long while back how I like my double oven--it's a Maytag Gemini and I LOVE it! we've had it for 10 years now and it's ACE.

Fuzzy Tales said...

I'd almost rather stick pins in my eyes than sew (pun intended). Or cook, as everyone knows. Your niece did an awesome job with those bells. I sure as heck couldn't do that...and wouldn't be motivated to learn, so I'm super-impressed!

Olga said...

How fun! My grand daughter (12) ditched me for a school dance and cute boys, but I had my grand son all to myself and we had a great time together.

Bellen said...

It sounds like a fun visit. It's nice to have family and friends come to see you - it's even nicer if you like each other!